Pi Setup Dec 2018 - Stretch
Decided time to switch to new os and Python 3, this is more or less a log
- Raspbian - Wikipedia Some info on versions, I took the latest from: Download Raspbian for Raspberry Pi I got RASPBIAN STRETCH WITH DESKTOP
Use this for install directions
said use etcher so that is what I plan to do.
next look at:
- look at preferences from menu and enable vnc
- in preferences set the localization to yours
Remote Desktop VNC
Default login. Username: pi. Password: raspberry. So, type pi, enter, raspberry, enter.
Static Ip Address
sudo leafpad /etc/dhcpcd.conf
Scroll all the way to the bottom of the file and add one, or both of the following snippets. Depending on whether you want to set a static IP address for a wired connection or a wireless connection eth0 = wired, wlan0 = wireless. You’ll need to edit the numbers in the snippet so they match your network configuration.
- interface = This defines which network interface you are setting the configuration for.
- static ip_address = This is the IP address that you want to set your device to. (Make sure you leave the /24 at the end)
- static routers = This is the IP address of your gateway (probably the IP address or your router)
- static domain_name_servers = This is the IP address of your DNS (probably the IP address of your router). You can add multiple IP addresses here separated with a single space.
- my next Raspberry Pi 182/183 I just pasted this into the bottom of the file
interface eth0 static ip_address=192.168.0.182/24 static routers=192.168.0.1 static domain_name_servers=192.168.0.1 interface wlan0 static ip_address=192.168.0.183/24 static routers=192.168.0.1 static domain_name_servers=192.168.0.1
then sudo reboot to try it out - ivp 6 may be a good addition to look into
this makes the wifi work as well ( pi 3 )
did not show samba but
sudo apt-get install samba
showed it was there -- not this time it did a big install ?? did it remove and install, the mysteries continue
>>> create mount point
sudo mkdir /mnt/share1
this gave read access
sudo mount -t cifs -o guest //192.168.0.170/share /mnt/share1
read write with this
sudo mount -t cifs -o username="russ",password="passwordhere",workgroup="MSHOME",file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,nobrl //192.168.0.170/share/_Source/rPi /mnt/share1