The following is a user-submitted list of PCB manufacturers. Your results may vary.
- This page lists "board houses" that take your custom PCB layout file and convert it to a custom printed circuit board (PCB) (ready for the next step: "assembly" adding parts). For "standard" prototyping PCBs, see stripboard and other techniques.
The Ladyada PCB Cost Comparison Calculator is a quick way to compare the (very roughly estimated) price of your board at many of the following fabs.
(FIXME: briefly mention the most relevant "capabilities": "preferred" and "minimum" trace width / spacing / via hole size / via pad diameter. Link directly to the manufacturer's "capability page" so readers can confirm these numbers for themselves. Boards that push the limit of manufacturability cost more than robustly designed boards that use preferred sizes.) For more details, see Submitting PCB's for fabrication.)
A few of these board houses do some automated DRC or manual checking (or both) before fabbing your board. If they find any issues, they email those issues to you and put the board on hold -- which typically delays the board a day or two. However, most people consider this a good thing -- they would rather have a board a day or two later than the quoted turn time, rather than a definitely nonfunctional board immediately.
In no particular order:
- 1-layer, FR-4, 0.062" thick
- 0.031" (0.8mm) line/gap ... except for 0.020" (0.5 mm) gap between pads ... bigger if possible.
- No mask
- No legend
- Minimum hole size 0.031" (0.8mm) diameter
- minimum via: 0.031" (0.8mm) diameter, 0.024" (0.6mm) ring giving 0.080" (2 mm) outer diameter.
- via: 0.5 mm diameter (PCB technical advice)
- track/gap: ???
- 2 layer 1.6 mm FR4 PTH, 1oz copper finished thickness, immersion silver finish
- no solder resists, no legends, no electrical test. (???)
- 0.2 mm track/gap on 1 oz boards
- holes spacing at least 0.30mm
PCB Train minimum capabilities:
- holes: 0.20 mm diameter finished size
- 0.30 mm track/gap on 2 oz boards
- 0.15 mm track/gap on 1 oz boards
- 0.250 mm gap within a ground plane
- 0.5 mm drill hole to copper clearance on inner layer
- 0.15 mm legend line width
- £55.13 total for 4 boards, 100 mm x 50 mm board, 2 layer 1.6 mm FR4 PTH, 1oz copper, 15 day delivery.
PCB Train Online PCB quote calculator. Also does PCB assembly.
Precision Technologies, Inc. - Eprotos.com capabilities:
- __ trace/space (FIXME)
- __ trace/space (FIXME)
Online PCB quote calculator (FIXME: link?)
4-layer boards up to 30 sq in. with 7/7 are $210 for 5, including shipping. Turn time is about 10 days including DHL from China. Service is not as fast as bigger outfits like Advanced Circuits, but still fine.
- $2.50 / square inch + $10 setup: double-sided with silk screen and solder mask on both side.
- $8.00 / square inch + $10 setup: 4 layer with silk screen and solder mask on both side.
No minimum quantity. Must use your own software to generate Gerber files. Easy-to-use web ordering interface, but slow turnaround time -- sometimes 30 days.
Also, if you want, BatchPCB will sell more copies of your PCBs to anyone else that wants one. And give you money. Why wouldn't you want that?
Sparkfun forum: PCB Deal Details
BatchPCB in the news: "Build a Custom-Printed Circuit Board" by James Turner. IEEE Spectrum, 2010-April
Warning: We received wrong hole sizes in two orders, which BatchPCB would not acknowledge or correct even upon several emails containing very clear pictorial evidence of the error. This is very unsatisfactory.
DorkbotPDX PCB order
DorkbotPDX is batching PCBs to get lower hobbyist friendly prices. Although this was started primarily for the DorkbotPDX community, it's open to everyone now.
- $5 per square inch for three copies of your design. Shipping by US Mail is included, and there are no setup fees. International priority mail shipping is available for a flat rate of $15.
- 2 layer FR-4, 0.062" thick
- 6 mil minimum trace/space (0.006" 0.15 mm)
- 15 mil clearances from traces to the edge of the board
- 13 mil minimum drill size
- 7 mil minimum annular ring
- soldermask on both sides
- silkscreen on both sides.
"feel free to drop me an email. I love helping people with their designs." -- Laen.
Online design rule checking. Students can order single PCB's for $33 each.
- 2-layer, FR-4, 0.062" thick
- 8-mil line/gap (?)
- Cut to rectangle shape only
- No mask
- No legend
- Minimum hole size 0.015"
- 6 mil line, 10 mil gap on inner layers
- 5 mil line/gap on outer layers (?)
- 0.010 inch final finished hole size
- minimum pad size: 0.024" (minimum 0.014" over finished hole size )
Bulgarian PCB manufacturer - 24 EUR (~$33) for a 6.3" by 3.9" board. I.E. cheaper than BatchPCB, but with a minimum board size requirement, and a more complicated ordering process. - shipping cost +8.5 EUR(~$12) outside of europe.
They allow multiple designs per PCB, and will even panelize them for you.
- white component mark on one side
- traces/spaces >= 0,254 mm (0,010")
- via hole size: 0.6mm (0,024") ( standard drill tool: 0,7 mm (0,028") minus plating 0,1mm (0,004") ) ; via pad size: ???
- silkscreen both sides
- minimum track/spaces: 0,203 mm (0,008")
- minimum via hole size: ??? ; minimum via pad size: ???
- using non-standard drill sizes
Offsers three product lines:
- Quickturn -
Fixed (fast) leadtimes with restricted capabilities. Double-sided (with or without soldermask), 4 layer and 6 layer fabrication:
- traces/spaces >= mm (0.006") (the Sunstone DFM rules mention preferred width: 0.006", clearance 0.010")
- finished via hole size: mm (0.016") ; via pad size: 0.030"
- Pre-set finish drill sizes: .016, .020, .025, .029, .033, .036, .040, .043, .046, .053, .061, .067, .080, .087, .093, .100, .110, .125, .141, .151, .167, .193, .251
- power plane clearance: 0.012"
- 2-side Solder Mask
- 1-side Silkscreen
- instant online quote
- open quantities from 1 to 100
- has "PCB123 - free PCB Design Software from Sunstone Circuits"
- 2-side silkscreen
- Full-featured -
Wide range of capabilities, price depends on exact specifications. Instance online quote.
- PCB123 -
Sunstone's own free (proprietary) schematic and PCB layout software -- easy to use, but you are locked into using their service unless you're willing to pay $50 for gerber files from them. Integration with ordering system simplifies the process of ordering boards. Unrestricted design size, live quoting of diki-key parts withing the bill of materials view.
All orders submitted before noon ship the next day. UPS ground shipping is free. Since they are located in the Portland, OR area this means you can get a board overnight to most places in the Northwest US.
Basic service is a two layer board routed to any size and shape. Two 9 sq inch boards for $63 (including shipping). Soldermask and silkscreen doubles the price.
EAGLE CAM export and design rule check scripts are provided.
PCBexpress is apparently a division of Sunstone Circuits Quickturn service.
5 Boards for $60 ($12 ea. for 10 sq. inches) with a 5 day turn time.
2 boards, 2 layers next day shipping for as low as 7.95 each. or 2 boards, 2 layers, 2 solder masks and legend one side for as low as 9.95 each. 3 Day Service
Online quotes at http://www.apcircuits.com/ap/calculator
Full CNC contour routing including plated slotting, oversize holes, internal cutouts for a modest fee
Instructions for creating Gerber and NC output from many popular PCB programs are also on this site.
4 2 layer boards for $19.89 each. Great prices for production board runs. Helpful staff.
- minimum 0.004" (0.1 mm) trace/space
- minimum finished hole size: 0.008" (0.2 mm)
- Very low cost quick turn proto promo prices too
Free proprietary schematic and layout software, used for all board services (like PCB123). Simplifies the process of getting a board done and out, by vertically integrating the design and production flow. Fewer options and less power, but fewer ways to screw up.
- Good deal on small prototypes: Mini-Board Service (3 identical boards, 2.5" X 3.8", doublesided, plated through, no silkscreen or soldermask) is priced well at $51 total, plus $10 shipping. Orders placed by 2PM ET ship the next business day by 2nd Day Air.
- Capabilities(inches) Production: Minimum trace width: 0.006". Minimum clearance: 0.006", preferred 0.010" . Perimeter clearance: 0.015", suggested 0.025". Holes - 23 sizes: 0.014"(via only), 0.020" - 0.251". Minimum Hole Spacing: 0.021" between edges. Vias/holes: 0.031"/0.014" -0.115"/0.052" . Pads/holes(round/square): 0.041"/.020" - 0.450"/0.251" . SMT: 0.010"x.070" - 0.420"x0.420" BGA: 0.012" - 0.020" .
- Software features: SCH netchecks. PCB imports PADS netlists, and illuminates nets nodes to assist in connection. Built-in updated price quotes for all offered board services. Copy to clipboard available for schematic & silkscreen+pads(layers must be screen-captured.) Pretty good selection of components, pads, symbols, for free.
- Notes: No Gerber support. Primitive single-level undo/redo. No PCB footprint selection/placement wizard from SCH info. No autorouting. SCH generates BOM, but PCB can't back-annotate (frustrating because most PCB footprints have Digikey part#s.) No net-based vendor integration. No scripting or plugins integration. Not enough keyboard shortcuts, uneditable.
- Review: The company is responsive and responsible. The Mini-Board service is addictively cheap and fast, and the other proto and production services are good, if not the cheapest option. Board quality is high; fine traces held up perfectly. The software is stable and simple, but tedious work for high parts-count or high-density boards.
- Conclusion: The sweet spot for ExpressPCB is sparse, simple, quickly-designed boards, at low and very high quantities. At any other density or complexity, might as well learn and use Eagle or KiCAD.
Turnaround ~8days + shipping, instant online quotes. $30 tooling fee, under $2/sq in.
No minimum order, $9.9 for protos, no extra charge for soldermask, silkscreen, E-testing, very low price on 2, 4, 6 layers.
online quote and track system.
Sales: email@example.com , firstname.lastname@example.org
Also offer assembly in THT and SMT.
- 3 10 sq. in. 2 sided prototype boards for a total of $54 + $22 shipping.
- 10 10 sq. in. 2 sided prototype boards for a total of $64 + $30 shipping.
- Layer counts: 2-28 layers
- Finished Copper Thickness: 0.5-5 OZ
- Finished Board Thickness: 0.2-6.0mm
- Min. Line/Track Width: 4mil
- Min. Line/Track Space: 4mil
- Min. Solder Mask Bridge: 4mil (Min. SMT Pad Space 8mil)
- Min. Legend(Silkscreen) Track Width: 5mil
- Min. Legend(Silkscreen) Height: 30mil
- Min. drilling slot size: 0.6mm
Also does PCB assembly and (some?) parts ordering.
4 small (max. 30 sq. inch) 2 sided prototype boards for a total of $80 + $35 shipping
- Min. track/space 0.1 mm (0.004").
- 0.35 mm via hole (0.014")
- 0.32 mm inner clearance (0.013").
- $25 ea. for 2 layer board, including shipping, solder mask, and silkscreen, up to 60 sq.in. -- in qty 1
- $50 ea. for 4 layer board, including shipping, solder mask, and silkscreen, up to 60 sq.in. -- in qty 1
- min. track/space 0.08 mm (0.003")
- instant online quote
OnBoardCircuits.com printed circuit boards:
- __ trace/space (FIXME)
"GC Aero specializes in the design and manufacture of flexible circuits and completed assemblies."
"Minco has the ability to wind flat inductive coils and laminate them within flex circuits."
- polyimide flex circuits
- .003"/.003" Minimum Trace and Space on 0.5 oz. copper
- .010" (drill size) Minimum Inner Diameter
- .014" Minimum Annular Ring Over Drill Size
- minimum pad size: 0.038" (calculated from min drill size + 2*annular ring)
- FR4, Rogers 4003, Rogers 4350, Rogers RT/Duroid
- "Lead Free HASL" or Gold surface
- solder resist: Green, Green (Matt), Red, Blue, Black, or Clear
- silkscreen: White, or Yellow
- Minimum Track & Gap: 0.127mm (5 thou)
- Minimum Hole (Drilled): 0.25mm
- Minimum Annular Ring: 0.127mm (5 thou)
- Minimum Inner Clearance: 0.254mm (10 thou)
- minimum Track & Gap: 0.0762mm (3 thou)
- minimum Hole (Drilled): 0.20mm
- minimum Annular Ring 0.0762mm (3 thou)
- Minimum Inner Clearance: 0.216mm (8.5thou)
Hobbyists created studio with PCB/PCBA services, they have outstanding communication among Chinese. They have some $10 offer for rather small board and $89 for combined designs. A very good alternative if you don't need it in a rush, or in large volume. Eagle files are accepted too. "An idea about open source PCBs".
DOMINO PCB service: $49 + $0.12 per sq.cm, . 2 layers, silk screen both sides, soldermask both sides, free shipping.
Propaganda - PCB service for open source works: $30 per board, qty 5, max 10cm*10cm each. 2 layers, silk screen both sides, soldermask both sides, +shipping (?) -- must be open-source and allow seeedstudio to offer the boards to others.
Circuits Unlimited Inc.
"Flexible circuit design, manufacturing, and assembly"
single sided flex: 12x12 panels 1oz copper with .001 Kapton on both sides. All solder pads on same side. Plating: HASL over all exposed copper. Stiffeners: 1 Kapton stiffener (.005 Kapton) and 1 FR4 stiffener PER design.
double-sided flex: 12x12 panels 1oz copper, 2 sides, with .001 Kapton on both sides. Plating: HASL over all exposed copper. Gold available at extra cost Stiffeners: 1 Kapton stiffener (.005 Kapton) and 1 FR4 stiffener PER design.
"Summer Special": "$900.00 is the starting price for single and double sided flexible circuit designs."
Special price (free?) on "Naked PCB", a tracks and holes only prototype.
- Minimum Track & Gap: 0.10 mm == 0.004" (with 18 µm == 1/2 ounce copper)
- Minimum Hole: 0.20 mm == 0.008"
- Minimum Annular Ring: 0.10 mm == 0.004" (with 18 µm == 1/2 ounce copper)
- minimum solder mask dam: 0.075 mm == 0.003"
- silkscreen ident/legend: 0.15 mm/0.15 mm feature/clearance == 0.006"/0.006"
- Copper to unconnected drill hole: 0.30 mm minimum == 0.012" (?)
Gold Phoenix PCB
BatchPCB aggregates designs into panels and ships them to GoldPhoenix to be made; they use GP's base specs and add a bottom silkscreen.
- FR4 0.062", 1OZ copper
- Minimum Track & Gap: 0.007"
- Minimum Hole: 0.015"
- Green solder mask, white silkscreen (one side)
- Free Step & repeat, V-scoring
- As many of your design as will fit into 1000 CM Sq for $99, including shipping to North America
All specs may be dropped down to the below ratings, for an additional fee -- this can end up costing more than the "normal" panel itself!
- 6oz copper
- 4mil spacing (track & gap)
- 8 mil minimum hole
- two-side silkscreen
- FR4 0.024" - 0.118"
- 0.8mm "Rogers 4350B" (flexible PCB)
- Colored soldermask or silkscreen
2 Layer 100 square inches starting at $94.99 4 Layer 100 square inches starting at $179.99 6 Layer 100 square inches starting at $299.99
All standard Specs Included:
Free Tooling Free E-test 5/5 (mil) Trace/Space Minimum drill (12-mil) Solder Mask (yellow, red, blue, green) Silk Screen - 2 sides Silk Screen (red, black, yellow, white) HASL Free Finish
Also makes flex and aluminum PCBs.
International Circuits sample prototype pricing:
2 layer 100 square inches starting at $95.00
- 4 layer 100 square inches starting at $200.00
- 6 layer 100 square inches starting at $330.00
- 8 layer 100 square inches starting at $550.00
standard Specs Included:
- Free Tooling, Free E-test
5/5 (mil) Trace/Space
- Minimum drill (12-mil)
- Double Sided Solder Mask (yellow, red, blue, green)
- Double Sided Silk Screen(red, black, yellow, white)
- HASL Free Finish
LEF Electronics Co
LEF Electronics Co.,Limited is PCB(printed circuit boards) manufacturer from China. high TG boards,thick copper boards,blind and buried vias boards,high frequency boards,HDI boards ,flex boards,flex-rigid boards. FR4 PCBs and Aluminum PCBs.
- Rigid-Flex PCBs & Flex PCBs
online PCB quote. Also does PCB design, flex PCB fabrication, and PCB assembly.
- 1 to 40+ copper layers board
- 3 mil minimum Trace & Space
Optimatech Printed Circuit Board
- __ trace/space (FIXME)
- __ trace/space (FIXME)
- __ trace/space (FIXME)
Also does PCB design, PCB assembly.
Other fab lists
Other web sites with a short list of recommendations:
- "How to make really really good homemade PCBs" by Mike Harrison 2007
- "PCB fabbing advice" by Chris Anderson 2008
- "The dilemmas of prototyping PCB's" at the Sparkfun forums
- mightyohm.com wiki: PCB Manufacturers
Other web sites with long lists of PWB fabricators:
- Chiphacker: moderately priced 6-layer PCB fab?
- Chiphacker: Cheap PCB manufacture