I would like to use VNC to access a Ubuntu 18.04 system from windows like I do with the Raspberry Pi.
- Connect to the existing desktop
- Keep the connection secure
This has been a bit of a struggle for a number of gotchas.
As I understand it ( may not have figured it out all the way )
- VNC has a server ( run on the machine you wish to view ) and viewer ( run on the machine you wish to access).
- In addition to having several components there are many versions of VNC. Directions for each differ, and differ across versions of Linux.
- I will focus on Tiger VNC and Ubuntu 18.04
- To get VNC working there seem to be various components.
- VNC server
- Desktop software ( there are many different ones, you may need to install -- however here I want to run on the default Ubuntu 18.04 desktop so no install is necessary )
- A way to connect to the VNC server -- many servers will only connect to localhost 127.0.0.1 so we will use vnc tunnelling to make a remote connection appear to be on localhost
Other Software Used
- sudo apt update
- sudo apt upgrade
Process viewer (htop)
- Why This will let you see what vnc software is running.
- Install >> sudo apt -install htop
- Run >> htop
- Exit >> ctrl-c
- Why see your server's tcp ip address
- Install >> sudo apt -install ??
- Run >> ifconfig
- Exit >> just ends
- Install >> sudo apt install openssh-server
might this help gconf-editor
Ubuntu text editor ( gedit )
- Install >> apt-get -install ??
- Run >> htop
Ubuntu File Browser
- Note: there may already be vncserver software installed perhaps vineo ??
- Install >> sudo apt-get install tigervnc-scraping-server
- Install ( may not be needed ) >> sudo apt install tigervnc-standalone-server tigervnc-viewer
- Set password >>vncpasswd << gotcha, if run server with no password set. If this does not run find an install -- perhaps full tiger vnc to get it.
- Run gotcha >> x0tigervncserver << but gotcha, needs to be pointed to password file so
- Run >> x0tigervncserver -PasswordFile ~/.vnc/passwd
- Run gotcha this is not the scraping server may not be installed >> tigervncserver -xstartup /usr/bin/xterm
- Set password >>vncpasswd << gotcha, if run server with no password set it will not work.
- edit configuration file >> use file browser but .vnc is hidden so turn on hidden file abillity ( one of its menus )
- starting thru ssh with putty does not work ( get an authentication error, but can start locally )
- to start thru ssh install startup script as on https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/how-to-start-a-vnc-server-for-the-actual-display-scraping-with-tigervnc/ this script can be run thru putty
- sudo apt-get install git psmisc
- git clone https://github.com/sebestyenistvan/runvncserver
- cp ~/runvncserver/startvnc ~
- chmod +x ~/startvnc
- ./startvnc start
- Manual Page: may not be the best >> https://man.cx/x0tigervncserver(1)
- set password with >> vncpasswd
- see running servers >> vncserver -list
- what runs with command vncserver >> which vncserver
right answer is ??
- what about owner of the .Xauthority file, https://askubuntu.com/questions/772090/how-can-i-resolve-x11-problem-with-putty-if-i-have-this-error-putty-x11-proxy
PuTTY X11 proxy: Unsupported authorisation protocol
How to start a vnc server for the actual display (scraping) with TigerVNC https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/how-to-start-a-vnc-server-for-the-actual-display-scraping-with-tigervnc/
- rather than use the desktop use a web based admin tool:
- Website Webmin http://www.webmin.com/
- Install >> sudo apt-get install webmin << seems to work on virtual machine but not real one ??
- Start >> sudo /etc/webmin/start
How To Install Webmin on Ubuntu 18.04 | DigitalOcean https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-install-webmin-on-ubuntu-18-04 sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list