Backup Help File
This is the Help "file" for the Python Application whose main page is: Python Backup Program
Help file for backup application.
- Highly configurable.
Download and Install
There is really no install program. Currently the application is intended for those who have at least a little familiarity with Python coding and can just insert the downloaded code into their development environment and run it. Code not yet available.
- Edit the parameter file: Use the application button <Edit Parms> ( after configuring for your editor ) or any text editor suitable for Python ( no tabs ) on the file parameters.py. See also: The section below, Configuration Files For Python and SmartPlug GUI Images
- View the log: Use the application button ( after configuring for your editor ) or any text editor on the file smart_plug.py_log. This is the default file name, it can be changed in parameters.py.
- Create a new empty database: There is a button on the graphing application. First set the file name ( including full path ) to a non existent file.
- Record data/Monitor Plug: Press the <Record On> button, to stop <Record Off> or close the application. See also: SmartPlug GUI Images.
- Set a timer: See also: SmartPlug GUI Images
- See status/info on a smart plu: Of what, work in progress.
- Make a graph: Use the graphing application ... see section below. See also: SmartPlug GUI Images.
- Install: see section above.
- Debug: see section below.
- Change Parameters: Same as edit the parameter file.
- Retrieve data from plug: On the GUI, but not implemented.
- Quick Restart of the application: As perhaps after a parameter change. Use the <Restart> button. See also: SmartPlug GUI Images
- Turn plug on/off
- Use your preferred text editor. In the parameter file, see below.
How to Use the Parameter File
See: Configuration Files For Python You need a text editor sutiable for .py files to manage the parameter file ( parameters.py ) This includes most text editors. I particularity like:
You can also use the editor that comes in many python development environments, the simplest of which may be Idle. But there are many many others. If you are reading this you probably have some experience.
Once you configure an editor in parameters.py you can edit from the <Edit Parms> in the GUI ( see below )
When editing there are couple of gotchas to watch out for.
- Python cares about capitalization, use the capitalization indicated in the default files and the example code.
- Python also cares a lot about how lines are indented. Do not change the indentation from the sample files, and always indent using spaces ( not tabs. most text editors will use spaces automatically for .py files, even if you use the tab key )
Editing of the parameters.py file
- See above in Download and Install
- Enable your favorite editor to work with the application.
- self.ex_editor = r"D:\apps\Notepad++\notepad++.exe" # use r" or the backslashes will not work, or you can use forward slashes instead they may be wrong but they work.
- Lots of other settings:
- Read the comments in parameters.py and change as desired. If a setting does not work let me know.
- If you mess up.
- Re download and get back to the original parameter file.
see: SmartPlug GUI Images
There are several application outputs that may be useful for debugging.
- Watch the GUI
- Check the Python console.
- Look at the python log file ( use the GUI button <Edit Log> ( specify your editor in parameters.py first ) or use your editor on the default name of the log file ...\smart_plug\smart_plug.py_log.
Most issues will probably be missing libraries, parameters.py issues, or just bugs in my code (email me ).
- [[Python Backup Program] main page for this project
- Click on category page for this project ( Python Backup ) below.
- Click on what links here on the left of this page