Advantages of Minimig with ethernet:
- Eliminating the need for swapping flashmemories
- Faster access time
- Allows direct connection to software archives etc..
- Faster development cycle (edit - test - crash ..)
- Handle decompression of disc images on a server
Relatively simple. Needs only an ethernet PHY in essence. Thoe only 4 user i/o is free = problem.
Network boot idea:
- Simulate harddisc, then mount nfs..
A cheapskate version is to use one pin per direction without protective magnetics for 10Base-T networking. 10Base-T use easy manchester encoding.
An I/O expansion could otherwise be done with an external fpga no#2 that communicates with the first one via a highspeed bus (~750 Mbps per lane or similar).